Saturday, July 9, 2011

My Trail Buddy

I have been out a few times here lately to do some trail work, this has consisted from just simple trimming to blowing debris off the trail to armoring and deberming. I have been taking a companion out with me on these trips, it is our dog Selma. She is a Weimaraner/German Shorthair mix and she is a high energy dog, she loves to run and play outside. I have been going out often enough that on my days off when she sees me grab my hiking boots she starts getting pretty excited, she will go to the back door and start hitting her lead with her nose.

I really wanted to take her out but was hesitant at first because I wasn't sure if she would just take off and then have a hard time finding me but she has done really well everytime we have gone out. She only gets about 40 yds out and then runs back to me and then off again, that is about the perfect range for a bird dog and it must just be instinct. I'm glad that she likes to go because she gets a lot of exercise and when we get home she is on the couch and is out for a couple hours.

This last trip I took her on we were doing some armoring and dirt work and it was pretty hot, I brought water for her but she wasn't drinking as much as I thought she should. On the way out I was stopping and doing some deberming and she was getting hot so as I removed layers of the top soil she would lay down in it and roll around to cool off. I tried it but I just got dizzy and dirty!!! At one point she thought she would help me dig but I had to put a stop to that real quick, while I appreciated her interest her technique still needs some honing.

No comments: