Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Ride In A Vertical Hell

Doug and I went out and rode this morning, the wind out of the South was brutal and had already started when we met up at 8 a.m. We knew it was suppose to be windy but when it was that windy that early we knew it was going to be rough. We were only about 6 or 7 miles in and I was just finishing one of my 18 sec pulls when Doug came around me and said "You know it's bad when there's a feed bag coming down the road at you", I looked up and sure enough there was a empty feed bag tumbling along next to the road. It didn't take too many hills before I was off the back and just trying to survive, this was not a glory ride but an opportunity to either man up or throw up.

The first 32 miles was into the wind and it was torture on my legs, the wind howling past me while riding was almost deafening. When we finally made the turn North and had the wind at our backs it was such a pleasant change, the noise had reduced to almost no noise and we were flying. We did turn back East for a while and had quite a cross wind but that wasn't what was on my mind, I was more focused on the monster hills we were climbing. We finally got to Hwy F and had the wind at our backs again so we were able to carry more speed and roll those hills.

We hit Dawn and then headed back North to Hwy 36 and then headed back to town. I drilled a dirt clod with my rear wheel and pinch flatted, for the second time in a week. I don't think I was so happy to get home, my legs were wiped out and now about 4 hrs later I think my legs are even more fatigued. I kept telling myself during the ride that this ride really sucks right now but during one of my endurance races this year I will be so glad that I did it.

No comments: