Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Don't Wait On Weight

I love endurance riding but the caloric build up goes against everything natural in my mind, I know it is neccesary to success but it is still hard to eat solid for a week to prepare for the long miles ahead. I am riding very strong right now, I'm climbing well and have been able to find a groove fairly easily on rides. The problem is that I have not got the real long rides in this year with schedule and crap weather. I have gotten a lot of windy rides in but they have been 25-65 miles in length instead of the 3 or 4 100 milers that I had hoped to achieve up to this point. I can't dwell on that right now because there is nothing that I can do about the past, I can only work towards the future. I am on my first day of antibiotics today with a chest cold and sinus congestion, but that is just an opportunity to rise above the circumstances and not an excuse for poor riding. With DK200 only 10 days away I am hesitant to put too many miles in especially after Saturday, but that shouldn't be a problem because it is a holiday weekend and that just means I won't have any days off anyway. There is a 60% chance of rain tomorrow but I plan to ride anyway at some point in the day. I plan to do a little riding throughout the week and a moderate/solid ride Monday night and then really start to taper off all while building up my caloric intake to build back up gylogen stores and let that spill over to fat stores for the upcoming race.

The DK200 at this point is more of a training race for Lumberjack which is 2 weeks after DK, I hope to ride well but I really hope it will catapoult me toward a very strong Lumberjack this year. I can't be concerned with how I stack up against the competition because there are some real studs riding this year. I was in contact with my team captain (Joe Fox) today and he said he is feeling really fit right now and even with a 4th place finish last year in the DK he said he will be happy with a top 15 finish with the talent that is racing this year. I do hope that there is less wind than last year but I guess I really don't get much say on that. I also hope that I don't have any cattle run out in front of me while cranking down the road like they did twice last year, I was grabbing some serious brakes.....at least I didn't have one headbutt my bike like they did to Damon a couple years ago.

No comments: