Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Search For Dirt

Since I work more weekend days than weekend days I have off and I tend to race when I can on the weekend days that I do get off my wife could be called a "single mom" on most weekends and pretty much all holidays. I took this past weekend off for a special weekend for my wife, she knew we were going out of town and where we were staying but she didn't know what we would be doing so she was pretty excited. I had the kids all set to stay with my parents and Molly had a Dr. appointment Friday afternoon in Liberty so our weekend started about Noon on Friday.

Before we went to the Dr. appointment we stopped by the Liberty Hy-Vee (one of my previous work locations) to pick up some Royals tickets for that night, my former boss hooked me up with some great seats. So now the first night was no mystery to Molly, she was pretty excited to go to the game. After the Dr. appointment we went and checked into the hotel and then headed for the ballpark. It was a really good game, Royals beat the Rockies 9-2, and there were fireworks after the game......it was a great show. Saturday morning we got up and headed to Lawrence to ride the Levee trails (I guess the bikes in the van was a clue that we might go ride), I knew that if any place was rideable that it would be there as with the sand it drains well with only a few soft spots. We rode out as far as we could but I was pretty sure that when we got to the low areas toward the back of the trail it would probably be unrideable and it was. I was riding Mary so I had my coffee cup bell on my bike and was ringing it often as we back tracked to where we could access the other side of the trail. We had to double back to where we cut across for the River Trail race, there were a few greasy spots on the trip back (I'm sure if you have ridden there before you know the areas that I am referring to, they seem to be soft even when it's dry). It was an easy ride since Molly has only been on trail 3 times now but she had a lot of fun. When we got back to the parking lot we decided to go back out but by ourselves, I was going to do 2 laps at race pace and she was going to do 1 lap at whatever speed she wanted. I took off and was having a blast riding that bike there, that is a perfect single speed course and it was the first time I had ridden Mary there. When I ride my geared bike I ride the whole thing in my big ring but my gearing on Mary was 32 x 18, I was wishing I had 32 x 16 but it was still a blast. Since I had that gearing I was riding as fast as I could go but was not redlining, also when riding into the tight twisty sections I wasn't bogged down if I missed a line and had to brake suddenly. Also the 29er aspect of Mary was great on that course, I only wish I had a computer on that bike......I need more toys!!! I have been fighting a cough for 2 weeks and have been having trouble breathing so that made some of the ride a struggle but I will take any single track time right now.

After our ride we drove back to the hotel and relaxed for a little bit and then headed to Legends, we grabbed a bite for dinner and then I had reserved 2 seats at Stanfords Comedy Club. We were at the 7:45 show and the headliner was Michael Sommerville, he was really funny. The first two comics were not that great, they had some funny material but not great. After the comedy club we grabbed movie tickets to see Robin Hood, that show didn't start until 10 p.m. so by the time we were out of there and back at the hotel it was almost my normal time to get up (well not that close but it was late for me). Molly and I had a great time, it was almost exhausting since we did so much but it was great.

Molly and I have another get away in 2 weeks except I am suppose to ride my cross bike 200 miles on gravel roads and she is suppose to drive to the check points to refuel me, that's close to the same thing.....isn't it???

No comments: