Monday, May 24, 2010

Tire Selection

Tire selection is everything, with so many brands of tires on the market and each brand carrying so many models there are numerous tire choices for any trail type and condition. I'm sure that we are all partial to a certain type of tires because of how it handles and probably prefer not to ride another type due to a bad experience or simply bad publicity. Mountain biking is a pretty tight group and brand recommendation goes a long ways between fellow riders. I tend to prefer Specialized Fast Trak and the Specialized Captains, I also like Kenda Nevegal for some riding and was hoping to get some Kenda Small Block 8's for the Lumberjack, which is less than 4 weeks away.

This past weekend Molly and I rode at the Levee Trail in Lawrence, I was riding my single speed and currently I have a Kenda Nevegal on the rear and a Hutchinson Python in the front. This tire selection ended up being about perfect for this trail, the larger profile rear tire seems to work well in an all rigid situation and the large outer knobs of the tire hooked up great in the tight and twisty single track. The low profile front tire was easy to guide into turns, I found it very similar to the Fast Trak.

I have purchased some Pythons to use for Lumberjack this year, I haven't used them on a rear tire yet but if they are as similar to Fast Trak's as I think then I believe I will really like them.

No comments: