Monday, May 30, 2011

Dirty Is Fun

I have spent several hours trying to get my wheels on my single speed set up tubeless, I would say somewhere between 6-8 hrs. I have a Haro Mary with WTB Laser Disc wheels, not the lightest wheelset but hey it's what I got. I had originally purchased the Stan's conversion kit made specially for that wheel and it didn't work, talk about being pissed ($50+ that I can't get back). Every time that I tried to get the wheel set up I kept leaking air around the valve stem and out around the nipples, have you ever leaked air out of your nipples? It kinda tickles!!! This told me that I wasn't getting a good seal up to the edge of the rim on both sides. I had tried the ghetto version and did not have any luck...the first time. I did some more reading and watched a couple videos on youtube to see how these guys did the ghetto version. When I worked on the wheels prior I would get so frustrated that I would have to just walk away from it and let myself calm down....sometimes for weeks. The first time I tried the ghetto version I tried to trim the cut tube before I put the wheel on, I found out later that the excess tube doesn't get trimmed until after the tire is mounted on the tire and it is holding air. I am very happy to say that I finally got Mary's wheels set up tubeless, I spent about an hour and a half trimming the excess tube material from both sides of both tires. I haven't ridden the tires yet, I am anxious to do so. I really wanted to get Mary set up prior to Lumberjack, if I had to run tubes I would have but I wanted to be able to run lower pressure that only tubeless set ups let you do.

No comments: