Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pre Race Big One

My normal pre race "Big One" usually involves getting to my bibs and a port-a-pot but I am referring this time to my final big ride before Dirty Kanza. I have gotten 2 really good long road rides accomplished in the past month or so but this time I wanted to ride gravel. Mainly because after changing out my drive train I was having some shifting issues and I had finally gotten my bike up to Cale to check it out. He made some minor adjustments and then realized that my hanger was slightly bent, after fixing that the bike was shifting perfectly on the stand and was ready to be tested on the road. I took off out of town and I could not believe how well the bike was working, I don't think it ever had worked this well before. About 20 miles into my ride I had did 2 monster climbs and then was on a moderate climb when it felt like something popped, I could feel it through the cranks. Shortly after that the shifting went to pot. I made a minor barrel adjustment and the shifting was better, not perfect but better. The more I rode the shifting would return to it's not so good function. On flat sections where I could really hammer I wasn't able to because as I would shift to smaller cogs the chain would just jump down all by itself. To say that I was frustrated is an understatement.



I continued on my ride and came across some sections of road that a maintainer had been, it was a lovely site. Other sections of road had fresh heavily laid gravel and it was very slow moving.



I came back to the house at mile 76 and took a couple hour break, I really needed something to eat and my rear was really enjoying the break from the saddle. Normally when my rear is hurting I stand and ride for a while but due to the shifting issues this was not an option as everytime I stood up it was not a good situation with my gears.

I went back out later and got in another 32 miles, this put my total just over 108 miles. It was a tough ride due to the distance, and the bike issues as they were making me very frustrated and angry. I have been preparing for this race since January and to have bike issues is making this tough, I am still working on it and I will get it figured out.

On my earlier ride I came across what looked like might be some trouble but it just turned out to be some jackass' and a horse's ass!!!


No comments: