Thursday, December 3, 2009

My fingers and toes are tingling

I knew I couldn't make it to spin class tonight since Brady has his Christmas program at school tonight so I decided I was going for a ride this afternoon. People kept coming into the store today and saying how cold it was and that it was starting to flurry outside, that wasn't very promising for my plans. When I left work it was cold but I didn't think it was too awful bad so I went home and started prepping for a road ride. I layered very well and got to put my new Specialized Sub Zero gloves with a fleece liner to their biggest test yet, my fingertips were frozen. These gloves are great but I tend to get cold very easily and when riding into the wind the cold air got to my fingers, basically my index finger and middle finger on my left hand and my little finger on my right hand. I rotate my fingers between my palm and handlebar while I ride to block direct wind and this helps but I couldn't fight off the cold the whole time. I stopped 3 times to warm up my hands, it wasn't a big deal, just took a little longer to get home. Actually the last stop I realized my fingers weren't cold, they were on fire from heating back up....OUCH!!! By this time my toes were getting cold and when I got back home they were very cold....not frozen but very cold. Another 20 min or so and they would have been in some serious pain. I layered well and was comfortable everywhere else on my body.

I rode on Monday and avg 20.1 on the loop, I rode hard but didn't go all out so I was pleased with that performance. Today was a different story, I avg 17.6 and it was not pleasing....I had to dig deep in the toliet to pull that one out. But today was not about numbers it was about spending time on the bike and burning calories.

No comments: