Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Warmth

There's just something about warmth, it is something that brings comfort, it soothes, and it relaxes your body and your mind. Maybe it's sitting on the couch under a blanket or sitting in front of the fireplace or soaking in a hot tub, wherever or whatever it is it usually makes us all feel better. I enjoy a cup of coffee but for me there's nothing quite like the first cup of the day, with the steam pouring out of the top of the cup and feeling the soothing liquid warm me for the inside out. I know when I am not feeling well the thing that makes me feel the best is sitting on the floor of the shower and pulling my knees to my chest and wrapping my arms around my legs and laying my head on my knees and letting the warm water just pour over my head and body, again it soothes and relaxes when nothing else seems to help.

I try to do as much cold weather riding as I possibly can, partly to maintain fitness but also I know my body is burning extra calories trying to stay warm. Warmth or the lack there of can make for a great ride or make it a miserable time on the road or trails. I have pushed the envelope a bit too far a couple times, even with some really good cold weather gear, I have had some severe pain due to my digits getting too cold. I'm sure we are all about the same, it's our fingers and toes that feel it the most, I haven't purchased winter shoes so I have paid the price before and probably will again in the future. I do have some good gear that makes a big difference and I know my limits so I try not to get over eager and step out too far if I know it spells disaster with the cold (there are other options available). Tonight I tried a very thin pair of socks under my wool socks but even though they were thin it didn't leave enough dead air space to trap some heat and allowed the cold air to shoot through to my toes. I have a couple pair of really nice wool socks and the combination of a pair of them with my fleece lined shoe covers it usually makes for a mostly comfortable ride, my toes are usually cold when I'm done but not frozen. It's not as good as winter shoes but I'll ride with what I have for right now. I do have a really nice pair of gloves that do a great job, I did have some cold fingers on one bitter cold ride a couple weeks ago but for the most part my fingers stay warm. Tonight was really pretty comfortable temperatures so it really wasn't an issue, I would prefer to be sweating my tail off in the middle of July but it was still pleasant.

1 comment:

thedawg28 said...

I feel your pain Mitch. I cant wait for warm weather. I just went to get my winter shoes on Tues but they had to order them because out of my size. Just keep pedaling!!!!