Monday, February 15, 2010

Getting Creative

Like most people, I am tired of being inside and tired of not riding my bike outside very much. I decided today that I was going to try and ride a little bit of single track if at all possible so I headed out to the campground loop at Indian Creek. I had to park on the road because the snow was deeper than I wanted to take my 2 wheel drive truck into, so I just geared up there and rode to the trail head.

I dropped in on the first two switchbacks and the snow combined with the off camber section of trail made for some fun/interesting riding. As the trail leveled out my effort increased to keep the bike rolling. The snow was only about 3 inches deep but the top layer was starting to get crusty. I had to rock and lunge forward to force a pedal stroke but had to jump back to weight the rear wheel to get some bite. I opted to take Mary out because I figured that gears really wouldn't matter too much in the snow and I had more aggressive tires in my Kenda Nevegals already setup on my single speed versus the Specialized Fast Trak on my Epic, the Fast Trak tires are a much lower profile and are awesome on hardpack and some loose terrain. I was able to ride more than half the loop but some areas were drifted and impossible for me to ride tonight. I was wanting to ride several loops but that just wasn't going to happen tonight so I decided to head over to the boat access road.

I was going to ride down the hill on the road to the boat access parking lot but decided to take the off road option that is off to the left by the sign at the top of the hill. There was much more resistance on this route with deeper snow, I rode all the way down and dropped down the hill to where I was just below the dam. I jumped on the trail that leads back to the parking lot and rode into about a foot of snow that had drifted in the parking lot. I couldn't tell if the road had been plowed and had snow blow back across or if it had just had traffic on it at some point. I rode up the hill to the main gravel and decided that I would ride back down and then sprint back up the hill. I did 4 sprints and my legs were on fire, I couldn't hardly breath, and the small headache I started riding with was making my head now feel like it was going to explode. I wanted more but my headache was creating an almost blinding experience, I'm just glad that I was able to ride.

1 comment:

thedawg28 said...

At least you got to ride your bike....I had a very unmotivated 30 min on my trainer last night and finally said screw it and climbed off well short of the 90 min. i had planned... Very disappointing!!