Monday, February 22, 2010

Trails.....Not Ready

Okay, I know I can be a little impatient but also willing to take a little abuse. I went back out with Mary on Saturday morning to try and ride some of the campground loop, I was hoping that a lot of the snow had melted as it had around town but there was still quite a bit in that area. I actually went down on the gravel section leading to the trail head, I was going from one drifted tire track across some deep snow to another drifted tread and that is where the fun began. I threw down my best Jedi warrior moves but the force was not with me on that quest, I maneuvered the bike side to side a couple times before piling up in the snow. I swear a squirrel came out of a tree and said "Nice try.....stupid snow".

I dropped into the trail and quickly realized that this would be an interesting lap, and probably not a very fast one at that. I did my best to ride what I could but it was difficult and the lack of gears wasn't helping the situation, but I did the best that I could. When I bogged down and couldn't keep the wheels turning I decided to run my bike, I ran my bike a whole lot farther than I would have cared to but I know it will pay off in the future. I could tell that I hadn't done any true running since the last duathlon last spring, I did a bit at the cross race but nothing like I was doing on this ride/run. I wasn't out nearly as long as I wanted to but at least I got something in, right now something is better than nothing.

I am looking forward to the Oklahoma trip, should be a good time. I still have one tire left to put new Stan's into and need to make sure that everthing is sound on my bike. I'll have to get my packing list started!!!

No comments: