Saturday, January 23, 2010

It's A Start

I was able to get out on a partial road ride yesterday after work, I didn't have much time due to it getting dark but decided that something was better than nothing. I went out 190 and headed North on Y for about a mile and then turned around and rode back home. I had some serious STS (Skinny Tire Syndrome) going on but things came around pretty quickly. Of course it was wet out but I didn't care, I was on my bike so the rest didn't really matter. I flew out of town quick, in fact it didn't take long for the lactic acid to start building up. I had no workout in mind for the ride other than just getting out to ride my bike but I ended up riding to Y at just below lactic threshold. When I made the turn North I felt the crosswind out of the ESE and realized that my ride home would not be so fast. Sure enough it was in my face, it wasn't horrible but it was still a headwind. With the lack of riding lately along with the cool damp air it felt like I had a 10 lb. weight on my chest when I was trying to get oxygen. The ride was nothing like I had been used to so it was a bit disconcerting to me. I am not surprised at the level of my performance with inability to workout the past several weeks but it was still frustrating. But of course there is good news to this, I know where I was and how to get there so now it is just getting dialed back in. I am struggling with one (some might call it two!!) issue yet, I will spare you the details right now although I will say I am in pain most of the day from it (except while I was riding yesterday).

I had my commuter headlight turned on in the flashing mode yesterday and I decided to see how slow I was riding into the headwind, I looked down and was at 38 mph......what the heck???? My speed bounced from 36-40 mph, it took me a while to figure out that the flashing light was messing with my computer (a few pins short of a strike......I get it now!!!).

I must say that I can't describe how good it felt to be back on my bicycle!!!!

No comments: