Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Map My A$$

Okay today was the first time that my gravel road map turned out to be just a piece of paper with lines on it. The times I have used it when riding to the North and East of town it is correct but today I headed South and when I took the first gravel road the map indicated that I would have 2 roads to choose from to head further South....wrong, dead end. I took the road across the highway and the map indicated that there was one road that I could take South to another road, wrong it was another dead end. I took a paved section South and jumped on another gravel road to the East, the map showed I would have another road heading South, guess what it was there....sort of. The road had huge rock on it and was mostly mud and then it turned into the picture below.



I'm not saying it wasn't fun to ride but I was expecting roads not something a tractor might get stuck on. I finally got to the end of the road but not before I got to the water pictured below.



When I got to the next road I headed East again because the map showed that I could hit another road South. Well guess what? It wasn't there...again. There was another road that went further East so I attempted to ride it, I should have known not to since the gravel only went about 30 yards. Beyond that point it was pure mud and my bike got nasty quick. I had to carry my bike back out of there because the wheels would not turn due to the amount of mud, not a lot of fun. I ended up looking for more familiar gravel and then continued my ride.

I did have some deer run across the road in front of me, I grabbed my camera as they were approaching the road and I didn't realize I missed hitting the on button and tried to take a picture when they were very close (about 15 yds away). I had to brake or I might have hit the back deer, I realized I didn't take the picture so I got the camera on and captured the picture below. It was a pretty cool thing, I just wish I could have got the first picture.



I sure am digging the base miles that I am getting but man do I feel weak right now, 52+ miles today (and it wasn't very hilly) and I was feeling trashed. It seemed especially odd since I was riding by myself and I couldn't seem to push the pace. I know my nutrition is not key right now, garbage in garbage out.

No comments: