Sunday, February 13, 2011

Tough Ride

I got out for a road ride today and I have to say that it was very tough, not my best effort. I was actually shocked at how quickly I faded and at how much it hurt. I know that my fueling practices are not anywhere close to where they need to be, but I don't think that was a huge factor today. I will say that the first 30+ miles was into the wind but I was actually carrying a decent speed, it wasn't blazing fast but not bad. I could really feel my legs fatigue about mile 25 and I knew that I would get a tailwind a little over 30 miles. The tailwind felt good but my legs were pretty shot by this point. I will say that I rode a very hilly route which was a big factor in my leg fatigue but still...come on. There were a couple times I was wondering if I was going to make the whole distance, I knew I was on the verge of bonking (maybe straddling that line). I was a bit discouraged with the ride but I am confident that this ride will make me stronger in the future.

It was a beautiful day to be riding, I dressed in my mind a little heavy so I could take layers off but actually it was just about perfect. I also tried some of my new Hammer products today, I used Endurolyte Fizz and Perpetuem Solids. The Fizz is an effervescent and the taste at first was a bit strong for me but after it "settled down" (my own phrasing) it had a very subtle flavor and was pretty good. I used Mango today but I also have Lemon Lime and Grapefruit to try also. I have all 3 flavors of the Solids and used the Orange Vanilla today, it smells just like the powder. I was going to use 3 pieces at a time but only took 2 at a time...and there is a reason. It's hard to describe the taste and constancy of this product. The taste is subtle and I found it appealing, which was a very good thing. When chewing the Solids the pieces I was chewing seemed to stick together it was almost like chewing gum for a minute, some of the smaller pieces were sticking to my teeth a little (maybe I should brush them). I don't think I could chew 3 pieces at a time, maybe I need to chew one most of the way and then add the second and chew most of it gone and then add the third. The only problem with that is if it is a mtb race it will be tough to access the solids 3 different times and try to carry speed while chewing (having to breath through your nose). I guess I have some organizing work to do!!!

No comments: