Sunday, February 27, 2011

I'm Committed

It's all in the title although some say I should be committed. February 1st was the start of registration for the 2011 Lumberjack 100, registration was set to open at 7:00 p.m. Last year the the race sold out in just over 12 hours and this year the race limit was extended from 300 racers to 350 racers. I was sure the race would sell out again and I was pretty confident that it would sell out faster than last year but I had no idea what was in store.

I feel very lucky to get a spot in the race because the night of registration was the night of the big blizzard and I had my truck parked on the street. A police officer informed me I needed to move my truck due to city ordinance/snowfall amount but it was stuck. Molly and I went out and with the help of a neighbor we were able to shovel the truck out and get it into the driveway. We made it back into the house at 6:58, I was a little stressed just because I wanted to be set already although I was sure I had a few hours to get signed up. I logged on and was ready to register right at 7:00, the process took me 2 minutes and I was in. In fact right after I registered I clicked on the registered riders list and there was 111 signed up in the first 2 minutes. Mark was signed up as well and he called me and asked me if I was watching the number climb, it was amazing to watch the riders list climb and climb and climb. The race actually sold out in 14 minutes, that is AMAZING to me.

Below is a picture of me from Lumberjack last year, this year I will be racing my single speed (Mark says I should be committed!!!). In fact I will be racing all rigid, there is only one spot I can remember for sure on the course that I am not looking forward to riding all rigid but it is a pretty short section. It is an eroded out downhill section that really shook me pretty good on my full suspension bike so no shocks should be a real treat!!!



The Lumberjack 100 is Michigan's Ultra Single Speed Championship, I have to say I am a bit worried about racing my single speed because there are so many fast riders on one gear. I am not concerned with how I place in this race because I am out of my league with many of these riders (I also want to represent Hammer Nutrition well). Below is last years single speed winner, Gerry Plug of Salsa Cycles, and he is returning again this year.



I will have to get back to you with a goal for this race, I have a lot of work to do and it's tough when I haven't done a race like this on this particualr bike.

No comments: