Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Full Day....Somebody Answer The Phone

Well I finally got out to do some trail work today, my wife lets me play in the dirt as long as I'm driving back and forth in my truck and not in her van. I set out with my camelbak and some other items stowed in the pak and my Rogue Hoe and hiked out to armor the second drop in on my section. This drop in gets a lot of leaves built up on the high side of the drainage and on the lower side as well, so knowing this you would think that I would have planned a little bit better. I should have carried a rake in with me or went to the trailer and got a blower to take with me but instead I walked in and did the best I could with my hands and feet. I quickly realized that if I was going to do this job right that I needed to get the bulk of the leaves out so I could see exactly what I was working with. I went ahead and started mining rock from the drainage above where I was working, that was a workout in itself. After I got 4 good size rocks I decided I would hike out and travel to the trailer to get a blower but I couldn't remember exactly where it was so I text Denny to find out but I had to wait for a signal on my way out just so I could send the text. Denny told me where it was and soon I was back at the work site with a blower. I got a lot of leaves moved and then went and found a couple more large rocks and started the jig saw puzzle of armoring. I think I got it pretty secure, there was enough water in the drainage that getting mud to pack the seams was not a problem. The only thing is my gloves were so muddy that I don't know if I got the seams filled good enough. Time will tell on that one and I can always add more in later if need be. I got more smaller rocks and put them on the lower side right next to the armoring to add to what was already there to eliminate the water back cutting. It may be a bad idea but I also got some rock built up on the upper side and made a little pool, the water can still go over the armoring like normal. My hope is that if debris starts to build up it will get caught in the upper section and make it easier for me to clean out as needed. I think it turned out pretty good, take a look at the before and after picture and tell me what you think. Oh that's right I forgot to take my camera.

I went out this evening to try and get my new seat post and saddle dialed in, let's just say it wasn't on speed dial. When I took the measurements from my old seat post and saddle I shouldn't have written down a number and put "ish" on the end of it, I don't think that is how Mark does stuff at work!!! I rolled from my sidewalk onto the street and knew right then that the nose of the saddle had to drop at least half a skosh if not a full skosh. After dropping the nose a touch I rode some more and then slid the saddle forward a very little bit, then rode some more. After a bit I lowered the seat post and it felt better but still not quite right so I lowered it another mm +/-. It is feeling better now but I still need to get some more saddle time to make sure, plus I need to get it on some good climbs to see how it feels.

No comments: